July 9, 2014

Bubur Ayam Mangga Besar I

This is one of the most recommended porridge restaurant in Jakarta; selling the famous Hainanese rice and Chinese porridge, not the Indonesian porridge with curry sauce and crackers. The cool thing is, you can find the nice yet rare drink called "Badak" here! It is popular among people who live in North Sumatera.

My family happen to like eating porridge at night, we used to go to Furama restaurant to eat porridge and other side dishes. As far as I know, Bubur Ayam Mangga Besar I opens until midnight :D

What I notice first about this restaurant is, "Whoa, the owner lady is so friendly, maybe that's one of the reason why this restaurant is crowded.." When my family and I arrived, she was like "Hello, hello grandma *when she saw my grandmother* welcome.. Eh you're so beautiful! Are you in high school or university??" And I was like, uh? I didn't even dressed up that day hahaha I was wearing my elmo t-shirt and black shorts :))

Hainan Rice | IDR 33000
Tastes as good as it smells! By ordering hainan rice, it includes other side dishes such as soup (with 2 fish balls!), pek cam kee (steamed chicken), tofu, half boiled egg, pickles + shrimp. The pek cam kee is the best! So tender with sesame oil and fried onions. 

Chicken Porridge | IDR 12000
Chicken Porridge (half portion) | IDR 11000
One of the best in town! The porridge includes cakwe (deep fried strip of dough) and chopped spring onion on top. Sorry, I didn't take photo of the porridge... *greedy me*

Side Dish
- Chicken (half) | IDR 55000
- Black egg (one) | IDR 11000
It is very common to order this if you order porridge. You can choose the menu by the way. We ordered pek cam kee (steamed chicken with green onion), sayur asin (pickled mustard greens), sliced ginger, coriander leaves, tofu, and black eggs. Have you ever eaten a black egg? At first, I was actually scared of it hahaha because of the black color and it has a 'unique' smell, but it is actually good! The texture is more chewy than ordinary egg. You can find black egg meaning here. There are also chicken liver, intestines, salty egg, roasted chicken, etc. All in one plate, delish!

Hot Tea (no refill) | IDR 3000
Badak Soft Drink | IDR 11000
I loooove Badak. It is a soft drink originated from Pematang Siantar, Sumatera Utara. Taste quite similar to Coca Cola (but much better, I swear) and best served with ice cubes, so refreshing!

Bubur Ayam Mangga Besar I
Jl. Mangga Besar I No.46A Mangga Besar - Jakarta Barat (021) 6280474
Jl. Taman Pluit Kencana No.5 Pluit - Jakarta Utara (021) 6613805

*All the menu include chili sauce and chopped cayenne pepper in soy sauce.
*You can order the steamed chicken (pek cam kee) for side dish by one or half, we ordered half.
*Approx. IDR 50000 / person.

Zomato Verified Reviewer

view my food journey on zomato!