August 5, 2014

Mac 'n' Cheese Recipe (Without Mustard)

I ate a package of mac 'n' cheese + iced tea/sweet tea for IDR 25000 at a canteen in Lasalle College Jakarta a while ago. Quite affordable, isn't it? It was yummy (fyi, it was my first time eating mac 'n' cheese or maybe I've eaten it somewhere but forgot haha). Mac 'n' cheese stands for macaroni and cheese :D Then, I decided to make it by myself. It was quite easy and I think Western recipes are all quite similar, especially english and french recipes.


Today's menu is Mac 'n' Cheese! *clap clap clap*
Serves 2 to 3 person.

Ingredients:
1. 200 gr Macaroni elbow (I use conchiglie pasta/shell macaroni)
2. 300 cc Plain mik (you can also use full cream powdered milk+water)
3. Melted cheese, parmesan cheese, grated cheese according to your taste
4. Half onion, 4 cloves of garlic (mince well)
5. 2 sausages, 2 smoked beef (cut into small pieces)
6. A pinch of salt, white and black pepper
7. 1 tablespoon of butter
8. 1 tablespoon of wheat flour
9. 1/4 teaspoon of mustard (I ran out of mustard so I didn't use it, but you can buy it at supermarket)
9. A pinch of oregano (for better taste, I didn't use it though)

How to make?
1. Boil the pasta until it is Al Dente (cooked so as to be still firm when bitten). Don't forget to add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Drain and set aside.
2. Using 1 tablespoon of butter, stir-fry the onion, garlic and then add sausages, smoked beef.

3. Add wheat flour (to prevent it from clotting, I mixed water and flour in the first place) and mustard.
4. Add plain milk.
5. Turn the heat to low, add melted cheese and a bit of grated cheese.
6. Add a pinch of salt, white and black pepper.
7. Stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy.

8. Turn off the heat and add the boiled pasta into the sauce.
9. Stir to coat the pasta evenly.

Want it to be more delicious? Bake it in the oven!
It will taste more crunchy on top, like a golden crust. You just have to sprinkle it with breadcrumbs and a little butter, cover it with foil, bake it at 350°F for approximately 15-30 minutes (until the top looks golden, not actual gold but yellow-gold, you get it? Lol).

And it is done! Serve the mac 'n' cheese while it is warm. So easy to make + you can keep the leftovers and reheat it in the microwave!


Zomato Verified Reviewer

view my food journey on zomato!